ST. LOUIS • As nightly protests continue to flare in Ferguson over a police shooting there, St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson went to an extreme Wednesday to provide details of the killing of a man by two of his officers.
He took the unusual steps of releasing 911 audio and surveillance, and cellphone video that show the shooting the day before.
Kajieme Powell, 25, who lived with his grandmother in the 1500 block of Hornsby Avenue in St. Louis, tried to attack two officers with a steak knife about 12:20 p.m. near the Six Stars Market, 8701 Riverview Boulevard, officials said. Powell is seen approaching an officer, shouting, “Shoot me! Kill me now!”
The two officers each fired six shots, police said. It was unclear how many hit Powell. One officer, 25, has been on the department for a little more than three years. The other, 31, has about 2½ years of service.
Watch Police Shooting Man Video here…
Restaurant Reservations Getting Phased Out
Upscale places using tickets instead
Classy restaurants across the country are doing away with traditional reservations. Instead, well-heeled diners at these establishments need meal tickets—quite literally, NPR reports. At Trois Mec in Los Angeles, for instance, you can score $100 tickets for a five-course meal; that includes tax and tip. (The tickets are sold online but go quickly.) In San Francisco, chef Daniel Patterson recently began ticketing for his restaurant, Coi. He made the decision in part because diners who’d made reservations often didn’t actually come.—wasting his restaurant’s time and money.
“The problem is we’re a special occasion restaurant for most people, not a spontaneous decision,” he explains to Eater. “A very large percentage of people who make reservations a month or two in advance will cancel them or not show up within the last week, and it’s very hard to re-book them.” The…
You might need a ticket for this. (AP Photo/Felipe Dana,
Woman Learns She Married Her Brother
Brazilian woman hears shocking news on radio show
A Brazilian woman got quite the surprise when she went on a radio show this week to reconnect with her long-lost mother, Gawker reports. Adriana, 39, who gave no last name, went on Radio Globo’s The Time Is Now (which helps people find lost family members) and talked to her mother for the first time. The big news: Adriana had a brother who’d been given up as a child and raised by a relative, just like Adriana was. Bigger news: His name was Leandro, just like Adriana’s husband. The two men, in fact, had the same last name. “I don’t believe that you’re telling me this,” said a sobbing Adriana, The Daily Mail reports “Leandro is my husband.” The couple has a 6-year-old daughter.
More on this story here…
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control owns a patent on a particular strain of Ebola known as “EboBun.” It’s patent No. CA2741523A1 and it was awarded in 2010.
The patent summary says, “The invention provides the isolated human Ebola (hEbola) viruses denoted as Bundibugyo (EboBun) deposited with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (“CDC”; Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America) on November 26, 2007 and accorded an accession number 200706291.”
It’s worth noting, by the way, that EboBun is not the same variant currently believed to be circulating in West Africa. Clearly, the CDC needs to expand its patent portfolio to include more strains, and that may very well be why American Ebola victims have been brought to the United States in the first place. Read more below and decide for yourself…
Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/046290 Ebola patent vaccines profit motive.html
Why Can’t Everyone Try Experimental Ebola Drugs?
Two Americans suffering from Ebola have been treated with an experimental drug, and they’ve reportedly seen big improvements. Is it time to try sending ZMapp to West Africa to aid the hundreds suffering from the disease? No, experts tell the Los Angeles Times. Drugs require extensive testing in order to determine whether they do their job safely, and offering ZMapp for widespread use could prevent researchers from making that judgement. “There’s a fairly good chance that it could do more harm than good,” an expert says, adding that some patients who could have survived on their own might end up dying if they use the drug. If the two Americans survive, the Times notes that ultimately the only “certainty is that the drug didn’t kill them.”
While Ebola is believed to be fatal in 45% to 90% of cases, the Times notes, certain traits appear to be associated with a higher chance of survival, LiveScience reports.
CaseClosed:I am wondering why haven’t the people of Africa been given the Ebola drugs in record numbers? They are dying and the disease is being spread to others visiting Africa. There must be a solution to this disease. The people of Africa should have been treated as soon as the first case was revealed and since this didn’t happen the disease is out of control and will wipe out hundreds if not thousands of Africans and others at a time when the world is beginning to do business with Africa.
Liberia shuts hospital where Spanish priest is infected, Ebola toll hits 932. Check out the latest news about Ebola in Liberia here…
Marijuana Implicated in 2 Fatal Heart Failures
Marijuana has a reputation for being a safe drug, but some researchers say there is mounting evidence that the drug is associated with adverse heart complications. In two new case studies, two young men in Germany—ages 23 and 28—with no drugs other than THC in their systems and no known health issues (though the 28-year-old had used other drugs up until a few years ago), both died due to complications from abnormal heart rhythms, or arrhythmias. “After exclusion of other causes of death, we assume that the young men died from cardiovascular complications evoked by smoking cannabis,” the researchers conclude. They added that the two men may have also been predisposed to cardiovascular risks.
Veggies More Dangerous Than Beef
At least when it comes to carrying diseases
Click link below to Learn more…
Teen’s Phone Ignites Under Her Pillow
Could be due to replacement battery, says dad
By Newsy, a Newser Video Partner
– Plenty of people tend to fall asleep with their phones in their beds at night, but one 13-year-old’s tale is cautionary, to say the least. Ariel Tolfree says her Samsung Galaxy S4 slipped under her pillow after she went to bed, and she woke a burning smell. Her dad tells KDFW he thinks the phone overheated and the battery—a replacement, not the original—swelled while she slept. Newsy reports:
Watch video on this story here…