Skip navigation


slime12n-5lq-3-webRobert Danell, a 62-year-old man with Downs syndrome, died of kidney failure shortly after eating ground beef. His family believes that he became deathly ill from eating hamburger containing what’s derisively known as “pink slime” — ammonia-treated beef scraps — and is suing the South Dakota-based manufacturer, Beef Products, Inc.

EXCLUSIVE: Hamburger with E. coli-tainted ‘pink slime’ killed 62-year-old man with Downs syndrome, lawsuit claims

Pink slime’ tainted with E. coli killed 62-year-old Minnesota man with Downs syndrome, lawsuit claims

Minnesota health officials suspect that E. coli tainted ‘lean finely textured beef’ made by Beef Products, Inc., sickened at least five people in the state in 2009, killing one of them. Now, as BPI pursues a lawsuit against ABC News and two former USDA microbiologists who raised objections about their product, the company must defend itself from accusations that treating beef trim with ammonia did not kill deadly pathogens.

Robert Danell, a 62-year-old man with Downs syndrome, died of kidney failure shortly after eating ground beef.

His family believes that he became deathly ill from eating hamburger containing what’s derisively known as “pink slime” — ammonia-treated beef scraps — and is suing the South Dakota-based manufacturer, Beef Products, Inc.

“Bob was the life of our family gatherings,” Bill Danell, Robert’s brother, stoically told the Daily News. “He was always kidding, and always giving a thumbs-up.”

AMERICA IS HUNGRY FOR SAFER FOOD

Filed on Jan. 8 by Marler Clark, a Seattle law firm that represents victims of foodborne illness, the scathing suit blames BPI and seven other companies for the sale of the “unreasonably dangerous” food that led to in Danell’s death.

Danell, who attended a day program at Opportunity Manor Group Home in St. Cloud, Minn., was one of 25 people in 17 states sickened in a 2009 E. coli outbreak that was traced back to a Greeley, Colo., slaughterhouse operated by JBS Swift & Company. JBS is also named in the lawsuit.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/pink-slime-killed-minn-man-lawsuit-article-1.1238596#ixzz2Hm40K0b9

About these ads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: